Monday, August 2, 2010

Texas on My Mind

I have Texas in my blood, through and through. The name "come and take it" wasn't just a clever anecdote for antique furniture (though it worked out nicely)...my family comes from a long line of Texas history, specifically in the town of Gonzales.

The Battle of Gonzales was a small skirmish in which American colonists refused to return a canon to Mexican soldiers--they raised a taunting flag, bearing the words "COME AND TAKE IT." The battle initiated the Texas Revolution and proved Texans stance against the Mexican government. Now how does relate to the Dean family, you may ask?

On my mother's side, my family was well known in the small town. To this day, the JB Kennard house stands as a Historic Marker in Gonzales. My aunt has moved back to our town of family roots and lives in a precious pink house with her two pups, Gracie and Scout. I'm jealous of her endless access to great vintage stores and cute boutiques.

Anywho, I digress. This entry is dedicated to two pieces I found at Canton and literally covered with Texas flair. The first is a gorgeous vanity (my mother is so happy we found it before my spray painting phase..)

I found several old pictures from my grandmother's house of her and her siblings in south texas during the 40's. I also managed to snag some of my mom and aunt as chili-bowled little girls at their first house in McAllen, TX. All in sepia or black and white and perfect for the top of my vanity--

With some double stick tape and a custom piece of glass from ACME glass (for $12!!!), I had a whole new piece of furniture and a little reminder of home.


Another find from Canton gave me a similar idea, but on this one I used postcards and an old Texas road map. I'm in love with the bright colors and handwritten letters. Find similar cards, photos, etc. at just about any antique store (if you're in Dallas, try Curiosities) --they can be as cheap as 25 cents and are a perfect tribute to southern roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment